Agile at Scale (Online)
YOW! Workshops - 01 MarRegister Now
Want to build an organisation that enables agile at scale and unleashes the power of small autonomous teams? This course will give you inspiring real world examples of how Spotify grew a dynamic learning organisation that continually reinforces a high-trust culture and supports engaged autonomous teams.
"The Spotify Model" of agile at scale has had a huge amount of attention in the agile community since it was first shared widely in 2012. Though never originally intended as a framework or model, the case study of Spotify's approach to agile working has become a hit with a large number of organisations who have opted to imitate the method.
This course will help you and your team to understand how and why it was optimized, the challenges that come with the method, and how companies can adapt and continue to evolve while employing this strategy of agile at scale. You will gain a deep and wide knowledge of how Spotify works under the hood, which will enable you to see more options for improving organisational design with regards to your context and boundaries.
You will learn why Spotify made the decisions they made, other options which were considered, and which changes were intentional and which were emergent. This hands-on workshop will explore underlying principles and go into specific practices and mechanisms. You will learn how to combine small, autonomous teams with strategic business alignment, how to work with leadership and growing leaders, innovation and the values and beliefs which shape the culture which created "The Spotify Model".
This course will be offered virtually over 4 half‑day sessions of 5 hours each.
The schedule for this class is Monday 1 March - Friday 5 March 4:00pm - 9:00pm UTC+8. Please plan to attend all five sessions.
Now a consultant at Crisp and co-author of Kanban in Action, Joakim Sundén worked as a leadership and team coach at Spotify during a period of massive growth for the company, guiding teams in Stockholm, San Francisco, New York and Boston towards a smoother Agile methodology that allowed for greater business alignment between teams and more effective software delivery.
Joakim worked with CTO and R&D Leadership to develop and introduce concepts like tribes, chapters, squads and guilds, aka "The Spotify Model" of agile at scale. He is also the author of Kanban In Action.
Joakim tweets at @joakimsunden
- Target Audience
- This course is for anyone interested in revitalizing the agile working methods of their business, including progressive leaders and managers, agile coaches, scrum masters, product owners, project managers, organisational change agents, consultants and HR, and their teams.
- 5 hours
This course covers:
- The History of Spotify
- How to Build Great Autonomous Teams (a.k.a squads)
- Organisational Structure to Support the Squads (chapters, tribes, and guilds)
- The Spotify Rhythm & OKRs (cross team, strategic business alignment and prioritization)
- Team and Tribe Leadership
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Competence and Development Frameworks
- Culture, Principles and Values
- How Scrum, Kanban and XP fit into the Spotify Culture
- Think It, Build It, Ship It, Tweak It: The Spotify Product Development Framework
- Sharing and Spreading Knowledge
- Transparency and Communication
- Challenges, Lessons Learned and Failed Experiments
Basic knowledge of agile principles and practices, e.g. some experience with Scrum, will help you better understand the content.