Grow To Where We’re Going
YOW! Perth 2020
As developers, we don't deliver just code. We deliver change in the world.
- The value of software is in its connections to the wider system: in its use.
- Growth never stops until death; software is “done” when it’s out of production.
- We don’t grow -in- an environment; we grow -with- an environment. Influence is healthier than control.
- Teams are like forests. The whole forest is communicating underground through a network of roots and fungi. The essence of a team’s work is out of sight, in
- the knowledge we exchange with each other and embed into the software.
- Developers are like trees in a forest. Sometimes management can’t see the “team” for the “resources.”
- Trees are green because intensity isn’t everything. To go fast is less important than to keep going.
Developer, Keynote Speaker, Symmathecist
Jessica Kerr is a developer of development systems. She works remotely from St. Louis, for Atomist, where she writes automations and automation infrastructure in TypeScript, Clojure, and whatever else is needed. She is a back-end developer who believes the front-end is most crucial. Jessica speaks at conferences in the US and Europe; find her on the >Code podcast (greaterthancode.com)