Dynamic Reteaming at Fast-Growing Companies
YOW! Singapore 2018
Team change is inevitable, especially when your company is hiring like crazy and doubling in size. Your teams might grow and split. 20 people might arrive in one day. What feels like “tectonic shifts” happen as you morph structurally in an attempt to refocus work and people. How can we bring a humanistic stance to this dynamic reteaming? How can the people be empowered to own their own team changes? How do you integrate the new people in without losing your sense of “culture?” We will explore questions like these with an interactive format. Along the way, I’ll share case studies from 3 successful startups I’ve been a part for nearly 20 years.
Director of Engineering Excellence
Heidi brings a practitioner approach with 17 years coaching and influencing cross-functional teams. She is currently Director of Engineering Excellence at Procore Technologies in Carpinteria, California. Prior to that, she was an early employee at two highly successful startups from roughly 10 team members to 700. The first was ExpertCity, Inc. (acquired by CitrixOnline) where she was on the development team that invented GoToMyPC, GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar. After that she was Principal Agile Coach at AppFolio, Inc., a SAAS workflow software company that went public in 2015.
- Target Audience
- Anyone interested in how to manage teams and change in growing organisations.
- Full day
- Learn patterns of team change including: isolation, one by one, grow and split, and load balancing.
- Experience what it’s like to let people choose their own teams.
- Analyze your current situation with ecocycle and panarchy tools.
- Determine a strategy for dealing with the “how do we maintain our culture” question as your company grows.
- Analyze reteaming problem sets to determine how you would approach solving them.
- Learn tactics to help your teams gel and get up to speed after they change.